Chasing your dreams isn’t always a happy time. It gets exhausting. I know that some days I just look at myself and think why don’t I have a full-time job when I have two degrees from an amazing school, but then I think” at least I have a job and an education.” Well, and some other things help boost my mood as well.
When you’re down and feeling stomped on by the universal, here are some things that can help you out — at least they help me out.
1. Take a nice long warm shower with blaring music so you sing at the top of your lungs. It doesn’t matter if you can carry a tune, the water will mask it. To me, the water is cleaning away all the bad juju, singing loud is getting out all my emotions, and the warmness is surrounding me and making me feel warm and fuzzy. This may sound cheesy, but it can help. The key is to have a really good playlist too. For my shower list, I play Jade, Florence + the Machine, Duffy, Adele, and other soulful singers.
2. Eat some comfort food. I go for cupcakes and ice cream when I’m really stressed. If I’m feeling lonely, maybe some warm comforts like mac ‘n cheese, pho, steak. This probably isn’t the healthiest thing, but hey, you only live once.
3. Have a drink. Yeah, I said it. Sometimes you need to turn to alcohol. Don’t get too heavy handed, but a nice whiskey sour can make things disappear.
4. Redo your resume/website/LinkedIn profile. Stop feeling bad about yourself and do something proactive. Maybe the things you promote yourself with need a face life. Are you highlighting all your talents?
5. Apply to a huge number of positions. Don’t give up!
6. Go shopping. Retail therapy really works. Get something new in your life can make you work a little harder. Ya gotta work harder to get nicer things.
What do you think about my list? Is it bad advice? And what do you do?